Wednesday, October 19, 2011

My book review of "The Sirens of Baghdad"

I bought this book some time ago and had just finished the book. Due to my work, I have not been able to read as much as I would like. However, I am currently on a business trip and had a bit more time to read.

I found this book to be a real eye opener. The book is about 300 pages and I did half of it in 2 days. I haven't read so much so fast in ages.

The Sirens of Baghdad was actually written in French by Mohammed Moulessehoul, However, he goes by the pen name of Yasmina Khadra (a woman's name). The reason being he was an officer with the Algerian Army.

The novel was translated by John Cullen. I am not sure whether Yasmina's story was as good as the translated version. At times, I felt it was overdone but it does give you an idea of the mind of the young Arabs and frustrations lived by them due to the American occupation of Iraq.

It will give a lot of Westerners, a better idea why the Muslims all over are joining such groups. The book does also argue both side of the view points and this also allow the reader to not only read about a one sided view.

Overall, a good read and I would recommend it to all.

Until the next time, cheers.


No comments:

Post a Comment